Administrative Assistant – HEAL Food Alliance
Apply to join us in uplifting the power of a healthy, green, fair and affordable food system.
ABOUT the HEAL (Health, Environment, Agriculture, Labor) Food Alliance: HEAL is a national alliance bringing together various sectors of food and agriculture – farmers, laborers, food service and production workers, with agricultural policy experts, community organizers and activists. HEAL seeks to build a people-powered movement for effective policy change in our national food system, from the corner store to Capitol Hill.
The HEAL Food Alliance’s anchor team includes the Food Chain Workers Alliance, Movement Strategy Center, Real Food Generation, and Union of Concerned Scientists.
For all People and all communities to have the right and the means to produce, procure, prepare, share, and eat food that’s nutritionally and culturally appropriate, free from exploitation of themselves and any other people, and to be in their full power in harmony with the rest of the natural world.
Our work is values-driven, based in authentic relationships, and we are dedicated to building and amplifying the power of frontline communities who are simultaneously most negatively impacted by our current food system, and are at the forefront of changing it.
About the Administrative Assistant: Working with the HEAL Food Alliance anchor team and under the direction of the Director, provides administrative, budget, communications and outreach support to the work of the alliance. Assists and supports the Director. Schedules and organizes meetings and events, processes financial reimbursements and provides budget tracking support. Assists in communications and outreach to partners regarding HEAL strategies. Provides support for special projects as requested.
HEAL Food Alliance is a fiscally-sponsored project of Movement Strategy Center. This a full-time, exempt, salaried position, based in Oakland, CA and reporting to the Director. Some work will be remote.
The essential job duties/responsibilities of the position are included in, but not limited to the items listed below.
- Assures that HEAL objectives, deliverables and commitments are fulfilled in a timely manner and to high professional standards.
- Oversees and organizes the daily and long-term priorities of the Director.
- Assists the anchor team with preparations for meetings, conferences, and speaking engagements.
- Responds to requests for information relating to HEAL Food Alliance activity.
- Provides on-going support to HEAL Food Alliance participants and workgroups.
- Organizes and maintains files and databases of members, media citations and event participants.
- Takes notes at meetings, identifies and tracks conclusions and deliverables.
- Schedules and organizes webinars/phone conferences for workgroup meetings and related events, under instruction of the Director, and advisement from the anchor team.
- Supports travel arrangements for HEAL anchor team and participants, including booking flights, accommodations, and airport shuttles.
- Providing logistical support for in-person meetings, including arranging location, confirming room set-up and equipment needs, ordering food and beverages, and providing information to meeting attendees.
- Supports the Director by tracking of the HEAL budget and expenditures, provides monthly updates to the anchor team.
- Communicates with fiscal sponsor regarding contracts and reimbursements.
- Drafts contracts for independent consultants (based on standard templates)
- Prepares and submits fully coded check request forms and requests for reimbursement from HEAL anchor team and participants.
- Other duties as assigned.
The HEAL Food Alliance is a start-up advocacy initiative. We seek motivated, self-starting creative thinkers who are inspired by and committed to our mission, and who are able to adapt as the organization grows and shifts. As a broad and complex coalition, we seek individuals who are highly organized systems thinkers and adept in interpersonal relationships. For all positions, HEAL seeks individuals with a demonstrated understanding of the intersections of racial, economic, and ecological justice, and committed to transformative change.
- Organized: The Administrative Assistant must have the ability to organize materials, set priorities and be detail oriented in managing materials and administrative work.
- Self-directed: The Administrative Assistant must be independent and have demonstrated initiative.
- Communicative: This person must have excellent English language skills in all areas of personal, verbal, and written communications.
- Collaborative: The Administrative Assistant must be a good team player and listener with strong interpersonal skills.
- Experienced: The Administrative Assistant must be comfortable working with constituencies with a range of professional experience and literacy levels.
- Tech Savvy: The Administrative Assistant must be able to utilize common office software and be competent with basic social media.
This is a full-time position with excellent benefits. Pay is $20-22 hourly, depending on experience. Some travel may be required.
We strongly encourage those with personal experience confronting the negative impacts of our current food system to apply.
HEAL Food Alliance is a fiscally-sponsored project of Movement Strategy Center (MSC). MSC is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or belief, disability, gender, nationality, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by law. Women, people of color, LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply, please send:
– Cover letter
– Resume or CV
Materials can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line HEAL Administrative Assistant. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
We will accept applications until Monday February 29, 2016.